The publishing date for The Savage Instinct has been moved to May 18th. I never realized how much promotional work is done in the months before a book is launched. Here's a quick rundown:
- Once all the line edits and copyedits are done (and they're exhausting), the book goes onto Net Galley. That's the online site where numerous reviewers from media to librarians to educators and book bloggers apply to read an Advance Reader Copy (ARC) of your book and provide a review, which is usually shared to Goodreads. This is a nail-biting time for authors, waiting to discover how your book will be received by people in the biz. You find yourself checking back numerous times a day to see if someone else has left a review and what they have to say. With The Savage Instinct it's been a great experience. So far the book has garnered over 83 amazing reviews.
- There's such an active community of Instagram book bloggers. I'm amazed at how many of these people are dedicated to promoting books and creating visually stunning posts accompanied by very insightful reviews. These people drive readers towards great books. I have nothing but admiration from them and gratitude for the way they've received The Savage Instinct.
- The publisher puts a great deal of work into getting established writers and reviewers to give feedback on the book. One or two of these are incorporated into the paperback cover. I had the greatest moment of my writing career when I learned that Publisher's Weekly, the premier publication in the publishing business, gave The Savage Instinct a starred review. That's a great honour reserved for select books!! Check it out here.
- The publisher works to set up events, including a launch, which will happen around the time the book is published. It will be a virtual launch, hosted by McNally Robinson, Winnipeg, which means more people will be able to participate. More details on the exact date and other events later.
- It's been amazing to see how the cover has evolved into something very beautiful. You'll be able to see the complete cover when the book comes out. But I have to say, I can't wait to finally get the book into my hands!!